Monday, July 19, 2010

In Washington (State)

So I'm in Lewiston, Idaho or Clarkston, Washington depending on what side of the convergence of the Snake or Clearwater Rivers you are on.

In the last few days Ieft Glacier Park, drive to Kalispell MT, south to Missoula on 93 (around Flathead Lake and through the Flathead Indian Reservation) then a little south of Missoula, in Lolo, I picked up US 12 and drove along the clearwater river for a hundred or so miles all the way across Idaho, into the Pacific Time Zone. I camped at Hungry Horse (in the woods with Andy from Virginia) Walmart Kalispell, Elk Summit Campground (in the Clearwater/Nez Pierce NF), then in Walmart again last night....

In defense: Walmart is free, safe (safer than a lot of other options I've looked at or used), usually bug free and well lighted. I was able to do 2 quick car projects last night at 10pm and all the happened was a cruiser pulled by slowly and then took his break while watching me reassemble my car's door (I almost fixed the window scraping/clicking problem)! Most on that and my trip to the junk yard later...

Anyway, I'm in Washington. I got teary just thinking about seeing the Pacific. I'm planning on going to see: Hansford Reach (Columbia River), Mt Rainier, hopefully Mt St Helens, Olympic NP, ad North Cascades NP. I hope to be able to couchsurf in Seattle then go over the border to Canada!

Where should I hit the Pacific? I was thinking Neah Bay given its symbolic position in the US.

Anyone know anyone that knows Washington State well. I want to make sure I'm not missing anything...

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Stop by our office on Bridge Street and we can point you to amazing things here in the valley - like the pictographs at Buffalo Eddy, or the Lewiston Wildlife Habitat Area, or Riverport Brewing Co. and some great places to eat - as well as some "don't miss" points in Washington State!

    On your way West, you should stop in Waitsburg at the Whoop'em Up Hollow Cafe. It's delicious http://www.whoopemuphollowcafe.com/

    We'd love to help - you can also find us on
    Twitter @HellsCanyon
    and on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonVisitorBureau

    Be safe - @HellsCanyon

    ReplyDelete
  2. you ok? where are you? we're back in SF the 13th for a couple of days

    ReplyDelete