Sunday, July 4, 2010

Got to Salt Lake City

So I just drove for 3 hours this morning after waking up at 7am parked in front of the Little America truck stop/restaurant/hotel thing. It was a scene. Humvee's and camouflage painted porta-potties on flatbeds, moving vans and a pickup truck towing a small plane all surrounded me. I slept fine.

Now I'm back in Utah and it feels great. I really like this state. If it wasn't for fear of the Mormons, this place would have been overrun with rich urbanites a long time ago (cough, cough, Colorado). I haven't met enough of them to judge, but the state is "Beautiful around every turn" (my new tag line for Utah. I'm retiring "Like Mars, but with some paved roads".)

Wyoming (I-80 corridor) on the other hand is 400 miles of kind of green grass, some bushes, lots of signs for Little America's 50 cent ice cream cones (that don't mention the fckin machine is broken), at least one of every type of mining and drilling I've seen so far, and a nice spattering of wind farms along the way (6 or so). This is all interrupted for about 3 minutes when you hit the northern tip of the Flaming Gorge at Green River, Wy. You get so see one cliff that is "flaming" and on a overcast day near sundown with my sunglasses on, it looked like it was a big airbrushed mural of flames (a mile wide of course). This is just a reminder that I need to not be cynical about "oh I've seen enough of X thing" I can pass this one. I suspect that if I had detoured and let my self get to Salt Lake a little later today, I would have seen one more of the great things hidden in the US. Instead I'm sitting in a car, watching Kyle's inter racial lesbian neighbors make out in their driveway, while wondering what time he might be showing up from his camping trip last night. I could have seen the gorge!

So I got to watch a nice little sting today on some prick going at least 85. It seems like once you get out to 75mph country, most people go between 65 and 77mph. The 5-7 over the limit rule doesn't seem to be used out here, which is fine with me, because I'd rather be going 57-65mph. Anyway, a guy flew by me at like 85. 3 minutes later a cop goes by at over 100mph easily. Scared the crap out of me. We are in open country and just getting to the top of a hill so the rest I got to see at a distance. He eventually gets up to the white car going 85+ and stay behind him for like 3 seconds before the lights come on. As I get to this I hit a workzone-speed reduced to 55 sign and then 50 feet before I get to the cop and the target car, there is a 35mph-Double Fines in Work zone sign. Holly crap that sucks. He's going to get basically a double fine for 50mph over the limit. Anyway, I will not say anything judgmental about this guys ride or the dumb sticker he has on his car or the fact that he's actually a she. In the next 100 miles I didn't get passed by that car, which I hope goes to prove my point that in the long run, doing the limit CAN be faster than speeding, LOL.

Anyway, I'm going to take a nap. Which is like rolling from the drivers seat to the passenger seat, so easy, I love it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment