Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Ride

I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe (extremely similar to a Toyota Matrix, except mine has a roof rack and a built in 110v inverter for my electronics)

The seats fold down flat in the back for sleeping and I might need to get an additional storage box and bike attachment for the roof. Here is a pic of the box, they make them half that size with the bike mounting next to them...
 


Mine has 72,000 miles, and seems like it is in great shape from the driving stand point.  I had it checked out last month and told the guys about the trip.  I told Rob the service manager at Milea, "When I'm in Death Valley and my car has died on the road 60 miles form anything, it will be Rob from Milea, I will be cursing for the rest of my life." He got the point and found about $800 worth of things to do to my car... Oooops!

I'll be rolling with a Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS:











And a trusty old Ipod mini that is on its third battery, and has a hardwire connection into my car stereo.



While we are on electronics, I'm definitely bringing my blackberry bold, but not sure if a laptop is a good idea.  I need to look things up and plan next parts of the trip, including updating the blog, but I think I can do most of that using the blackberry and other peoples machines... Any comments on what to do?  I guess I will bring it and if its really turns into a brick, I'll send it back to NYC.  Therefore I need new batteries for both my blackberry (for a spare) and the laptop (dead).















Organizing the stuff in the car so I can travel and sleep with Max in the car, stow the car at trailheads and inner-city streets without worrying about getting broken into and not looking like Mr. Bean will be a real challenge.





2 comments:

  1. so are you getting a solar charger, a cigarette lighter charger or both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 110v household style outlet in the dashboard of the car... A week doesn't go by that I don't find myself using it. I have a small 3 outlet power strip attached to it, so that can charge my phone, camera, laptop, etc. I'm not bringing a hand held GPS (yet), so I can't think of what I would absolutely need to charge out in the woods, that I wouldn't already have a backup battery for. My headlamps are LED's so i don't think I would need to worry about high consumption lighting that would require a lot of spare batteries, etc. My experience with rechargeable AA's and AAA's hasn't been the best, so i'm a little biased away from using them.

    ReplyDelete