Friday, August 13, 2010

San Juan Island

So after getting back from Canada (Sidney to Annacortes Ferry) I spent a night in Bellingham Washington again and then took the ferry to San Juan Island. The island is the largest of the San Juan archipelago and is located in the waters north west of Seattle. Its like Seattle's version of Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket, etc... There are many different islands out here and you need to take a washington state ferry or a float plane to get to them. The ferry is actually a labeled part of the Washington Highway system.

I had the opportunity to do a bunch of cool things... I saw a great sunset everyday and one of them even included breaching orca whales just off the coast. I got to hang out with JQ and we went meteor shower watching two nights and saw amazing shooting stars. Some of their tails took up half the sky (45 degrees long). One we saw over the horizon clearly broke up into like 10 fireballs as it dropped from the sky.

I went to a great spot called false bay. The slope of the sand is so shallow that when low tide pulls out, all of the water empties from the entire bay. Add to it that the evaporating water on the drying sand turns into fog and you have one wild sight!

I got to see the marine labs that U. Washington has at Friday Harbor. And I had two home cooked meals by JQ.

I found 72 hour parking spots that were for locals that walk to the ferry terminal. It was great for repeat overnight stays and I didn't have to mix it up at all. So three nights in the same car sleeping spot might be a record for this trip.

Max is doing well. You can definitely see that he is maturing and always listens to commands and knows when its time to play and when its not... When we were in line for the ferry I was able to walk around with him to go to a piss spot, tell him to pee and then got him to drink on command when we got back to the car. He's great!
He also has learned to appreciate swimming lately and will swim after sticks and balls I throw in the water for him. He picked this up first in Magneson Park, Seattle.

Speaking of Seattle, I am on my way there for a night before I continue south. I'll be staying with Tim's girlfriend's brother, Eugene :) Thanks Regina!

Mason

PS. My short list of places to live so far:
Vancouver
Bellingham Washington
Salt Lake City, UT
Moab, UT

I'm going to go back and look at the ones that "towns you should enjoy living in" list.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

  1. Now that's a list-- we will come visit you in any of those places although probably more often in Vancouver and Bellingham. We're back in San Francisco this week-- once you get here that may be added to your list as well)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was great spending time with you, and the awesome max, to catch up in one of the greatest places in the country. enjoyed the numerous sunsets (even with those loud high-pitched animals running around at the last site), cruising around, and stargazing...the first night of the perseid meteor shower was one i'll never forget- 4 bolides and the longest vapor trail i've ever seen! hopefully we'll be around to check out halley's comet (from the same spot) when it rolls through again, lol =))).
    it's funny man, you're the same ol' mason...although it's been a long time, it was like we were hangin' on the docks again and rolling through the city. good luck with the rest of your journey (i'll check for updates), and stay in touch! naturespeed! -JQ

    ReplyDelete